Of Note, There are additional requirements for travel to the African Continent (e.g. Yellow Fever Vaccination). If you are on standby or may be tasked to travel to Africa at a moment‘s notice, please ensure your readiness to travel by visiting the Soldier Medical Readiness Clinic and review the checklists below.
If you are on standby or may be tasked to travel to Africa at a moment‘s notice, please ensure your readiness to travel by considering the following guidance:
- Provide the Traveler’s name, DODID #, email address, destination and dates of travel to the USARMY USAG Italy USARAF Mailbox Medical: email@example.com. HHBn Medical team will provide a confirmatory update on your medical readiness status. See next slide.
- If identified as needing medical readiness updates please follow directions from the HHBn med team or proceed to the Soldier Medical Readiness Clinic at the Vicenza Army Health Clinic, located in Caserma Ederle Building 2310, Room 1F12. If you need to update your PHA or dental Call Central Appointments at DSN: 636-9000 or COMM: 0111-61-9000 to make an appointment. Clinic hours: Mon-Fri: 0730-1130, 1300-1630 (Closed from 0730-1200 every 3rd Thursday). The READINESS team can provide immunization updates, audiology screening, and order labs for PHA and other readiness requirements.
- Identify mission-appropriate clothing to be worn while traveling in Africa and treat with permethrin. Clothing treated should include at least one layer that may be laundered (not dry clean only), and ideally contain at least some cotton.
- Sign out a permethrin-treated pop-up bed net, DEET skin repellant and permethrin treatment for clothing available from the HHBN Supply Custodian located on Del Din. DEET-containing insect repellant should be in 24-35% concentration. This may also be purchased locally through AAFES or some local Italian stores.
- Review document, “USAFRICOM Travel Health Checklist” found at https://portal.usaraf.army.mil/staff/tenants/HHBN/SitePages/USARAF%20PA-Medical.aspx
- Ensure you maintain on hand an adequate supply of any chronic medications you currently take, plus any items you might need in Africa such as sunscreen, Pepto-Bismol (or generic) tablets, Tylenol or Motrin, etc.
Need medical clearance for travel and / or travel medications for travel to Africa?
REQUIRED: for ALL Military and Department of the Army Civilians traveling to Africa regardless of duty type: TDY, leave, deployment, PCS, TCS.
To initiate medical screening and clearance - Please email the USARAF Travel Medicine Team at:
Please include the following information in your e-mail:
• Duration of travel (days on the continent)
• Reason for travel (TDY, leave, emergency leave, etc.)
• EDIP (DoD ID number, preferred)
For additional information and minimum travel related requirements please visit: www.africom.mil/staff-resources/travel-to-africa
USARAF Travel Clinic numbers:
Office 1: DSN: 314-637-1641 or Commercial: +39-0444-66-1641
Office 2: DSN: 314-637-1642 or Commercial: +39-0444-66-1642
Above information also found at: http://rhce.amedd.army.mil/vicenza/services.cfm?MTFinfo_id=869